Sunday, April 4, 2010

Pancake House help

I have been to Williamsburg several times and tried many pancake houses. None that great. We love pancakes and were hoping we could get suggestions from locals or regulars on which pancake houses were the best. Thanks in advance!



Pancake House help


My favorite is the IHOP on Richmond Road, and I had excellent blueberry pancakes at the Gazebo recently. Another place is the Five Forks Diner. It%26#39;s more of a locals diner-type place, and I%26#39;ve always gotten good breakfasts there.



Pancake House help


Personally, I liked the Old Chickahominy House (sic) and Cracker Barrel.



Sorry to recommend a chain (Cracker Barrel), but there pancakes are generally really good. Plus, they serve real maple syrup with them instead of ';breakfast syrup';.





Personally, I%26#39;m a bit of a pancake snob, so I understand how important it is to get top notch pancakes. If you want a great recipe, see if you can find Alton Brown%26#39;s recipe from Good Eats.



I add an extra tablespoon (or more) of butter and a couple of extra tablespoons of sugar. I also cut the milk a little bit...




Just back from Williamsburg area after a week there in May.





I would concur with Zoey that you%26#39;ll get good %26#39;cakes (at least we liked them) at Five Forks Diner on James Tyler Highway and at the IHOP on Richmond Road (yes, it is a chain, but they do a really good job).





We%26#39;ve had mixed luck at The Gazebo -- must depend on who%26#39;s cooking that day....some good, some not so good.





We tried Old Chickahominy House and thought the entire place was over-rated by some of the reviews we read before going. We wouldn%26#39;t bother going again...





If you find a great place, please share....




I second the post above recommending the Old Chickahominy House- you can%26#39;t beat the pancakes, nor hunting for unusual housewares and antiques post-brunch/breakfast!




Thank you for the tips! We have 3 days worth of breakfasts and we now have some good options we haven%26#39;t tried yet:)




Sounds good.



I just wanted to mention that when I travel I like to eat at places that we can%26#39;t when at home... It sounds like you%26#39;re looking to be somewhat adventurous as well.





So let me offer advice to try and do just that; checkout places and types of food that you wouldn%26#39;t otherwise be able to try. For me, that kicks places like IHOP and Cracker Barrel right off the list (with IHOP actually being one of the weakest at making pancakes in my area).





So from one pancake aficionado to what sounds like another- get out there and try as many new places as you can, and don%26#39;t settle!

No comments:

Post a Comment