Friday, April 9, 2010

Best road coming in/going out to avoid traffic

We%26#39;re going to Virginia Beach again this summer, and I%26#39;ve started to explore new ways of avoiding traffic. Like last year, we%26#39;re driving down using I-81 instead of I-87, thus avoiding New York. Now should we go (1) through Philadelphia down US-13 %26amp; Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, or use (2) Washington Beltway via I-270/I-495 down to I-95 %26amp; Richmond?





I%26#39;ve never done option (2), but I know that using (1) last year we lost around 1-2 hours (Philadelphia, Memorial Bridge, Beaches area). Would option (2) be better than that? (We%26#39;d be getting to Washington around 2-3PM, or Philadelphia around noon)





As far as coming back, we%26#39;ll leave on Saturday morning, so I guess traffic on I-95 going to Richmond/Washington should be low? It would also be a new route for us, always interesting when you have 750 miles to drive! And the Delmarva drive is so tedious, with all the stoplights and speed limits changes you have to carefully watch out for. If I can avoid it, at least one way, that would be nice.





Thanks!





And while I’m here, I must also give many thanks for all the precious tips that I’ve gotten here over time just reading posts. We ventured out of the “beach” and had lots of fun. My boyfriend, while he still thinks I’m obsessive about planning trips, appreciates all those little “plus”!



Best road coming in/going out to avoid traffic


So glad you enjoy VB. And I know we%26#39;re always happy to help out.



Looks like, yes, Rt. 13 definitely over I 95. Here%26#39;s a recent forum discussion on your topic:



tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g58277-i63-k280069…





One would hope that on a Saturday morning everyone is heading toward the various beaches in Va., NC and SC, the opposite of the direction in which you%26#39;re driving. There will still be traffic, though. Some people will be heading home from their week stay at the shore; others heading up to vacation in DC, etc.



Ask as many questions as come to mind.



All the best on your trip.



Best road coming in/going out to avoid traffic


I concur. Rt. 13 going down, but 95/495/270 should be better coming back up.





Hitting DC at 2-3pm on the way down will not avoid the rush, you%26#39;ll catch the beginning of it. So timewise, you%26#39;re probably not really losing all that much by taking Rt. 13.




Well, thanks a lot! Seems we%26#39;ll have to suffer Rt. 13 again, I wouldn%26#39;t knowingly jump into Washington traffic when we make a detour to avoid New York... But we%26#39;ll definitely come back using I-95, it will be a change, and I might even convince DBF to stop a night or two in Washington for a quick view of your capital!




Yes, DC traffic is horrendous. Rush hour is something like 6-10 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. or later. And great exodus Friday afternoon/Saturday morning and returns Sunday afternoons from the beaches.



Have a great trip.



What else can we help you with?

No comments:

Post a Comment