Friday, April 9, 2010

Bike Trail Locations

We will be bringing our bikes and staying at the Marriott in Fords Colony. Is there a map this lists the bike trails in Williamsburg? Thank you!



Bike Trail Locations


Marriott will provide you with a bike map around the Ford%26#39;s Colony subdivision. There are a nice paths through the neighborhhods and golf courses.



Bike Trail Locations


If you also plan to visit Yorktown, the battlefields are a great place to bike. Although there are also cars on the road, the speed limit is 15mph and the road is one-way. Very scenic and interesting with signs marking encampments etc. More information at www.nps.gov/york/planyourvisit/things2do.htm



There is a Biking Virginia map available which includes the Capital Trail (portion in W%26#39;burg), check it out at (includes interactive map)http://www.virginia.org/site/features.asp?featureid=360



Many enjoy biking the Colonial Parkway, while it%26#39;s a beautiful road, I personally don%26#39;t like to bike it because of the 45mph speed limit and absence of seperate bike lane.




Don%26#39;t recommend the Colonial Parkway at all for biking -- unfortunately there are no bike paths and the auto traffic is confusing as it is a three lane road.




For street biking I recommend starting out by Jamestown Settlement. There%26#39;s a paved bike trail that will run up by Jamestown High School on John Tyler and then bear left and head towards Rt. 5 towards Charles City.





If it%26#39;s Mt. Biking that you%26#39;re looking for I suggest Freedom Park on Centerville Rd. The place is swamped w/ Mt. bikers on a nice day.





Off of the Colonial Parkway I%26#39;ve seen two signs marked ';bike trail'; that disappear behind trees. I%26#39;ve never taken them so I have no idea where they go.




chazzercise, if possible, please let me know where the ';bike trail'; signs are located and I%26#39;ll check it out next time I%26#39;m in the area....I%26#39;m always looking for a nice place to ride. Thanks




chazz, sorry I meant to say ';bike trail'; signs off Colonial Parkway. Thanks




To goneagain2:





Both bike trails are located right off the Colonial Pkwy in between Jamestown and College Creek. They%26#39;re labeled with a green sign that has a picture of a bicycle and reads ';Bike Path';. If you access the CP at Jamestown they will both be on your left-hand side (the side opposite the James River). The first path is just a minute or two by car from Jamestown. The second is right next to the farm where there are always cows grazing. If you start at Jamestown and reach the College Creek beach area you%26#39;ve gone too far and passed both.





Again, I%26#39;ve never been on either so I don%26#39;t know where they go; how far they go; or how good they are. I%26#39;ve always meant to try them, but have just never gotten around to it.





Hope this helps.




chazz, Thanks for the details. I%26#39;m normally on the Yorktown side of CP, but will check this out next time in the area, sounds promising. I%26#39;ll let you know what I find, please do the same if you go there.



Sorry for highjacking this thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment