Friday, April 9, 2010

Phila to Williamsburg - best route & time?

I%26#39;ll be traveling from Phila to Williamsburg on Monday July 13th. I could take Rt 95 down or do a more scenic route through MD/cross over the Bay Bridge Tunnel... Which is better? Any recommendations on the time to leave Philly? Our check-in is at 4pm - so if we travel down 95 I was thinking we could stop at Monticello on the way down... OR as previously mentioned do the bridge/tunnel... I%26#39;ll have a 7 %26amp; 9 year old in the car with me and my bf, so I know we%26#39;ll need to stop but should we plan on an attraction that day or just drive down and get to CW? Any thoughts would be helpful... and how long does it take to get to VA Beach? And any experience with the American Rover Tall Ships in Norfolk? Thought that might be fun... Thanks.



Phila to Williamsburg - best route %26amp; time?


You%26#39;ll miss DC traffic if you come down the Eastern Shore. It%26#39;s a little longer, and maybe a bit slower, but you avoid DC traffic tie-ups and it%26#39;s a much more relaxing and scenic drive. Going that way you could drive over to Chincoteague for a bit, but it adds a few miles to your trip. I%26#39;m not sure of the best timing, but you want to get through the HRBT before rush hour, if possible.



Coming down I-95 and jogging over to Charlottesville will add about 80 miles to your drive, plus whatever time you take to visit Monticello.



Getting to VA Beach can take about an hour or more from Williamsburg, depending on traffic. Last Monday, I drove from Williamsburg to Norfolk, and each way took a little more than an hour. On the way down, for about 10 minutes traffic was at a complete standstill due to debris in the HRBT (Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel), so the trip took about an hour and 15 minutes.



Phila to Williamsburg - best route %26amp; time?


Well as you say, you%26#39;ve got various options, but on a Monday, I would leave around 9:30 AM or so, and that should put you in Williamsburg around 4 PM and allow you a stop or two to stretch your legs. You could stop and take detours, scenic routes, etc. but it will make for a very long day. With young ones, I%26#39;d just get the trip over with. Take I-95 S to I-295 near Richmond to I-64 E.





From Williamsburg to VA Beach is 45 minutes to an hour depending upon time of day and traffic.




I%26#39;ve taken the American Rover harbor tour and really enjoyed it. It departs from the Downtown Norfolk waterfront and sails on the Elizabeth River. You will see the Norfolk and Portsmouth waterfront areas and a portion of the Chesapeake Bay, even possibly some ships at the Naval Base piers. There are other boat crusies also, Victory Rover motor boat tour of Naval Base area, Carrie B old style paddlewheeler harbor tour and Spirit of Norfolk lunch and dinner cruises.



The annual Harborfest event will be held July 3-5, a wonderful time to experience many tall ships. Maybe you can plan a visit during a future Harborfest, it%26#39;s great fun, see details at http://festeventsva.org and click on Harborfest.



Enjoy your visit to the area.




thanks for all the help and suggestions. I will discuss with my bf and we%26#39;ll come up with a plan. I personally don%26#39;t mind the longer scenic route down the Eastern Shore and making stops along the way. It%26#39;s my vacation and I don%26#39;t want to rush... lol. I also don%26#39;t want to sit in PHILLY/BALTIMORE/DC traffic all day so we%26#39;ll see what we can do! Thanks again!




I agree with 22tango on time to leave is around 9:30A if you are going down 95 and driving straight. Unless there is some major accident, you won%26#39;t really be sitting in any traffic. I drive down 95 to NC and have learned the window in DC is small as rush hour can start heating up again as early as 3P.


  • beauty advice
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment