Sunday, April 4, 2010

Dolphin or Shark?

I was wondering if anyone who grew up or visits to Virginia Beach a lot could help me identify something I saw and almost had an encounter with. My friend and I were vacationing there one summer and when we were swimming a huge wave hit us pulling us under and luckily closer to shore. When I got up I pulled the hair away from my face and looked for my friend, she was doing the same and I saw a large dark gray fin behind her. She was only a few feet behind me and I yelled her to get out, she wouldn%26#39;t and I told her to turn around, and of course she ran. I know fish swim from side to side and dolphins swim up and down, I wasn%26#39;t looking long enough to know for SURE but I%26#39;m almost positive it was from side to side. The fin seemed to be a lot bigger than a dolphin fin but then I%26#39;ve never seen a dolphin. It was also by itself where I%26#39;m assuming dolphins swim together. How can I tell if what I saw was a shark or a dolphin? What sharks even live in Virginia Beach?



Dolphin or Shark?


Your analysis is pretty good. Sounds like what you encountered was probably a shark. Count yourself and your friend lucky. You don%26#39;t have to be very far from shore or in water over a few feet deep.





You might want to check out the novel based on truth called %26#39;Close to Shore%26#39; by Michael Capuzzo. It%26#39;s about a rogue shark that hunted the Jersey Shore back in 1915 or 16. It will make you more alert when in the surf.



Dolphin or Shark?


I%26#39;d be curious to know which summer you were here. I%26#39;d also be curious to know what time of day your sighting occurred. A few years ago we had a few swimmers who had encounters with sharks. Without going into detail, one was most unfortunate.





This same summer,one of the local news stations was reporting on the number of shark sitings/attacks we had and one viewer had sent in their vacation tape. It was only when the family watched their tape that they saw their little girls coming out of the water (they were about thigh deep) and just a few feet behind them, there was a fin very similar to the one that you describe. It was a shark. It was very scary to realize that they were coming in that close to shore.





It was noted that the greatest risk of encountering a shark is during feeding time which is usually dusk or dawn.





I haven%26#39;t noticed any news reports in the last couple of years of any sightings/incidents though.




actually sharks are somewhat common to va beach...there was an attack a few years ago out at sandbridge...the calm waters at va beach..where a young boy died..but i actually havent heard of them being near the waves...although it wouldnt surprise me...but i know this proble isnt much help but va beach has been known to have sharks...i am pretty sure there either sand sharks or bull sharks...one of those




actually sharks are somewhat common to va beach...there was an attack a few years ago out at sandbridge...the calm waters at va beach..where a young boy died..but i actually havent heard of them being near the waves...although it wouldnt surprise me...but i know this proble isnt much help but va beach has been known to have sharks...i am pretty sure there either sand sharks or bull sharks...one of those




Beachbaby - Yep, that was the attack that I was referring to in my post. That was the summer that for some reason, we had a lot of shark sitings and a couple of encounters. If I%26#39;m not mistaken, I believe there was also an incident involving a girl down near Nags Head that summer.





I remember watching that video that I was referring to on TV, it was really bizarre seeing the shark that close to shore. I had never heard or seen that happen before.




Funny i read this, i travel to VAB every month and every month i see those fins, you think they are dolphins and the locals on the beach will even tell you they are, but the truth is, i am 100% sure those are sharks. there is a story on line about the little boy who died from one on that beach in 2000. 4 ft deep water and it got him. So next time when you are there and they start yelling dolphins, dolphons, remember this story and know the truth..... they are sharks.






I live in Virginia Beach, moved there about 3 years ago. That first year I was weary of sharks. I have often seen dolphins wild in the ocean as I was swimming. In fact a wave lifted me up and I saw a fin and it looked like a shark...I started yelling out to my husband and it was gone. Later when I was out of the water I saw dolphin after dolphin jumping up swimming.





I%26#39;ve also seen a whale unusually close at least it seemed unusual to me, but I don%26#39;t know much about the ocean. Ilived in the midwest most my life.





Locals say shark attacks are virtually unheard of, supposedly only 1 ever. But I often wonder, they have to be there! Especially by that fishing pier, or so I would think. I have often searched the waters to try and see a shark, but I have not. Oddly I kind of want to see a shark, but of course I wouldn%26#39;t want to see it harming anyone.





So.....I have a couple questions myself. About shark sightings in Virginia Beach, How many people see them or how often are they sighted? Are they there but just not being seen or not attacking humans? Also I%26#39;ve heard if there are dolphins in the area, then sharks will stay away, and then I%26#39;ve heard the exact opposite!!





Anyone know?




This morning I went on one of the parasailing trips and I saw three hammerheads swimming at the top of the water about 2 miles off of shore. This was the first time I have even gone to Virginia Beach and I know exactly what you are talking about when you see those fins. I am staying at the south end of VB and notice the fins all the time in the morning hours for about 2 hours. The fins look like they are dolphin fins becuase I saw a few of them blow water from their blow holes and saw them jump. Though I am not an expert but I%26#39;m sure some sightings may be sharks.




Good afternoon,



I suppose I will jump on this bandwagon with my two cents. I spent almost 300 days at the oceanfront and have a vantage point of 60%26#39; high to view the water from, which I do everyday. I have seen numerous dolphins and whales, but never a shark. They are out there, but pose no threat that anyone should worry about.



When I ran a resort in the Keys, we had sharks in sight everyday, never an incident. Sharks are not bloodthirsty creatures to be feared, especially the one%26#39;s off the coast of the eastern US.



Michael




Sunspree, I know common sense is that what you are saying is true. They say that you%26#39;re chance of being bitten by a shark is one in 11 million. But, I%26#39;m sure that%26#39;s no consolation to the 9 yr old boy and 30 yr. old man that were bitten by sharks at Isle of Palms in SC yesterday. I%26#39;m sure htye never expected to get bit by a shark. The 9 yr. old was in knee keep water boogie boarding. I love the ocean and have been on vacation at the beach two or three times a year and have never had a problem, but......(I%26#39;ll still go again next year - but I always am looking around me and when something touches one of us - I%26#39;m out of the water).

No comments:

Post a Comment