Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Driving from Savannah to Richmond, VA: Where to stop?

Hello all,





I wonder if you might have suggestions and expertise to share with me! I%26#39;m driving from Savannah to Richmond over the course of one and a half days (one day of major driving, plus one day ideally with some driving plus lots of little stops). My driving options, Mapquest tells me, are to take 1-95, US-1 N, or I-85 N. I imagine I could also take a coastal route, which sounds lovely. I would like to take the coastal route for the South and North Carolina portions of the trip, at least.





I don%26#39;t know this part of the world at all so I%26#39;m not sure how to organize my trip. I%26#39;d love to see interesting little towns and beautiful sites (which is a vote against major highways, of course). Where do you suggest I stop along the way for lunch, a walk, a quick sight? What shouldn%26#39;t I miss as I head north?





If you were doing this drive, what would you do?





Thanks!





Driving from Savannah to Richmond, VA: Where to stop?


Here are a couple of general routes to consider, check maps, available time, points of interest, etc and see if any of these ideas sound good, others are sure to give you good suggestions too.......



95N to 70E to 17N you will see Morehead City, Boque Banks (outer Banks area, includes Atlantic Beach, Crystal Coast, Emerald Isle) nestled between Atlantic Ocean %26amp; Intracoastal Waterway, continue 17N to Edenton NC, very nice downtown waterfront on the Albemarle Sound, continue 17N to 460N through Petersburg and on to Richmond.



95N to 17N to 64E, includes Manteo very quaint and on to Outer Banks of NC, includes Hatteras, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, very slow going on the Outer Banks if your trip is during the summer...lots of traffic and basically one road, but very cool especially if you like the beach.



95N to 26W to 77N, this route takes you through scenic mountain areas, Charlotte NC and small towns in western Va ie. Galax, Floyd, Fries, then take 64E to Charlottesville, very interesting visit Monticello, UVA, Shenandoah National Park is nearby too, then continue to Richmond.



For the Va section of your trip, check www.virginia.org as well as TA attractions and forum sections for things to do in specific areas once you decide on your route. Hope this helps.



Happy trails



Driving from Savannah to Richmond, VA: Where to stop?


Thanks a lot for your response! Very helpful.


  • spots
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment