Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Speed Trap

Recently passed through Emporia VA, and yes, got a speeding ticket for going 10 over! (I honestly did not see the speed limit change from 70 to 65, my bad) I then found out Emporia is a major speed trap, so DO NOT SPEED through this town, or all of VA. The speed limit drops to 65 when you cross the state line into Virgina. Also, forget about trying to talk your way out of it. Be warned...

Speed Trap

Maybe those speeders are part of the reason that Emporia has the highest crime rate of any town of its size in Virginia (google the ';virginia uniform crime report'; for more details).

Speed Trap

wow, didn%26#39;t know that either... My averge speed on the interstate is usually about 75, (when the posted limit is 70) so, it wasn%26#39;t like I was burning up the highway... Virgina is a beautiful state, enjoy it at a slower pace... :-)


I got my first speeding ticket in over 20 years in the lovely burg of Emporia, Va on our trip to Florida. Cruising along with the rest of the traffic in the travel lane but the cop grabbed me. Wonder if my Mass. plates had something to do with it....Avoid this town like the plague....


Sorry Jake... yeah, my Georgia plates probably stuck out as well. You would think the local cops would give out of state visitors a break, but I think they single them out instead. At least they do in Emporia


Also a big FYI: Unplug and HIDE any radar detectors while traveling through Virginia.

The are (I think) the only state to make them illegal.


It is NOT just out of staters who get speeding tickets in Emporia. Why should they give them a break ?? The police assume (rightfully so) that if you are capable of driving in Virginia, you should be able to read a speed limit sign.


You are right, speeding is speeding whether it is intentional or not. And it is usually up to the officer to decide to issue a ticket or not. But, I have traveled all over this country and the maybe four times that I have been pulled over, with one exception, I was let off with a warning. I have been driving for over 30 years and I would say that%26#39;s a pretty good record. I am always polite and respectful to law enforcement; they have a job to do like the rest of us. Its not like I burn the highway up, in fact, there are drivers passing me most of the time. GA has a law against speed traps (revenuing) by local police, which is what the local cops seem to be doing in Emporia VA. This is where my gripe lies. Now I checked into the crime rate of the town and in 2005 and 2006, it ranked #2 in VA with the highest crime. The latest data available from 2007, looks like it will retain that rank. Maybe their crime rate wouldn’t be so high if....

I don%26#39;t know, that%26#39;s just me...

The day I passed through there were two local cops and one county cop running radar - ';speed trap'; in my book. And Emporia is a major speed trap, just google it. %26#39;Emporia VA speeding%26#39;, and you%26#39;ll see. Heck, even the local lawyers seem to be in on it. Not a week passed by when I received THREE solicitations from Emporia traffic lawyers offering to get my ticket reduced or off the hook. Imaging that!

I missed the speed limit sign, that was my fault, I paid my ticket and learned a lesson. All I am saying is for other people to obey the speed limit when traveling through VA. and of course other states as well. VA is a beautiful state and I will probably go back, it will just be at a slower speed. :-) But I think I will avoid Emporia!

Bottome line is, don%26#39;t speed!!! Especially in VA

:-) So, if other readers read this and they take heed, I have done what I set out to do. Make driving a pleasurable and ';cheaper'; experience through VA.


Just got back from a three night trip to Washington DC. Driving back to Augusta, Ga. I got a ticket in Emporia. I was told by the cop that I was going ';about'; 80. He screamed by me and told me to pull over and then pulled over a car in front of me. When he got to me I was asked if I knew the guy in front of me. How could I??? Anyway I tried to explain that I had my cruise control at 75 and was going with the flow. My appeal fell on deaf ears. A nice end to a road trip.

  • about interracial couples
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment